Saturday, April 2, 2011

Craft Room Reorganization

My craft room was a disaster. I did not even take "Before" pictures because I was too ashamed.

I knew the problem: Everything didn't have a place. Everything needs a place so you know where to put it back. Like things need to be organized together.

I also knew I needed more table space because for the most part, we would just grab what supplies we needed and take it down to the dining room table. It's pointless to have a craft room if you don't/can't use it.

So I took a trip to Ikea and bought a second table. But first I took everything out of the room, and made little piles in the hallway to group stuff together. I bought one of those Better Homes & Gardens special publication magazines on organizing, and it said that one of the most common mistakes people make when organizing a room is to go out and buy stuff first before taking stock of what you have and what needs to be organized.

So I bought a table, and also a couple of pegboards.


So now I have a sewing table and a crafting table.
The new table is very long and narrow, and will have room for lots of fun. Also big enough to leave the Cricut set up all the time.
Loving the pegboard, too. Lots of room for all the tools.


Pretty little Ikea glasses hold tools grouped by type: coloured pencils, calligraphy pens, markers, pens, pencils, and paintbrushes & painting tools.

These little plastic containers came from the bathroom section of Ikea, but they're perfect. A label-maker helps ensure things get returned to where they belong.

Not exactly a sexy shot, but I am so happy that everything is packed away in storage boxes and, again, organized by type. For example, acrylic paints, fabric paints, feathers, adhesives, etc.

I am so happy that I finally checked this off my To Do List! And thanks to my sister Selby for helping me do it all. It was a big job and she was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...